16 yr old, Whats the best year for me to Buy?

for a 16 yr old, it's pretty cool to get a BMW in the 1985-89 range, especially when used BMWs are getting cheaper, my first BMW when i was in high school was a 1978 328i. it was the worst car i ever had to drive but after i got it fixed, it was actually fun, no power steering but you get used to it, i have then since moved up to a 1984 315 but it was an automatic, i loved the body style on that, the engine was just retarded, had to sell it but i went to the 5-series and got a 1988 528e, i handed it down to my sister because i go to school and have to drive a honda civic, it's good on gas mileage and i like it (eff you if you don't but i don't care) but now im looking for another 3-series, at your age, ur lucky to be considering a BMW as ur first car, thank ur parents for that, good luck in finding a good BMW.

epj3

PandaCivic said:
for a 16 yr old, it's pretty cool to get a BMW in the 1985-89 range, especially when used BMWs are getting cheaper, my first BMW when i was in high school was a 1978 328i. it was the worst car i ever had to drive but after i got it fixed, it was actually fun, no power steering but you get used to it, i have then since moved up to a 1984 315 but it was an automatic, i loved the body style on that, the engine was just retarded, had to sell it but i went to the 5-series and got a 1988 528e, i handed it down to my sister because i go to school and have to drive a honda civic, it's good on gas mileage and i like it (eff you if you don't but i don't care) but now im looking for another 3-series, at your age, ur lucky to be considering a BMW as ur first car, thank ur parents for that, good luck in finding a good BMW.
Parents?? Who said his parents were buying it? I'm looking for an e36 that will be 100% paid by me, the car, papers, insurance, repairs, gas, everything. Mom and dad arent sparing a dime for me, so I dont think i'm lucky for considering a BMW, i just want a fun, reliable car that has an excellent feel to it.

Damn straight ep, i bought my car all by myself, i worked after school, and everyday of the summer, for 3 summers, and i bought my 96 bmw 328is. I pay for the gas, but i will say my paretns help with insurance, and repairs, but for the majoraty i pay for it.

StuartJoyce said:
Damn straight ep, i bought my car all by myself, i worked after school, and everyday of the summer, for 3 summers, and i bought my 96 bmw 328is. I pay for the gas, but i will say my paretns help with insurance, and repairs, but for the majoraty i pay for it.
Thanks guys, I have been saving since i was 12. I have loved cars my whole life. Im paying for 95% of my car. I been working all summer trying 2 get more money. I cant wait till i find the right one. Well thanks alot guys you've helped alot!!

Sean

Attachments

epj3

StuartJoyce said:
I mean, there might be a point where my mom gets me something for chistmas (like 2 tires..hehe, not all 4 - that's expensive) but other than that, I'll be responsivle for 98 or 99% of the costs.

just an assumption cuz i had to save up for my first BMW since i was like maybe 14, i had to ask my parents for some help at first because i was still without a decent job, paper routes don't cut it, but then i had to pay them back, i just meant that if parents helped out then thank them. that's all.

epj3

PandaCivic said:
just an assumption cuz i had to save up for my first BMW since i was like maybe 14, i had to ask my parents for some help at first because i was still without a decent job, paper routes don't cut it, but then i had to pay them back, i just meant that if parents helped out then thank them. that's all.
Well, i have utmost respect for you then. I hate it when people try to brag about a car their parents paid for. Not because i'm at all jealious (though it does make me mad that I have to work so hard for something they had given to them) but becuase I have ALWAYS believed that something is not *YOURS* unless you PAID FOR IT yourself. And anyone who can save for a BMW and own one, i respect you.

I hate those guys who brag about "their" car when parents bought it too. This guy I know will be getting something in the $20,000+ range when he can drive, the worst thing is that his dad drives a 1989 Taurus. Now that really gets me. I understand it kinda when the parents have a lot of money, drive new expensive cars and buy their child a car, but not when they buy a car that is so expensive they never drove something that good. Especially when the person takes it for granted, that just kills me.

it's good that some of you guys have worked hard to earn their cars. But I'm assuming you still live at home, they feed you food, and give you a bed to sleep in, you can't really brag that you have really achieved anything.
I'm almost 19 and about to buy an E30 or E36 bimmer (probably E30), but there is not a way I could afford to do this if I am on my own...... so I still thank my parents.

If your parents bought the car for you, that's very nice of them. If you bought your own car, consider the fact that anyone our age could also afford a car like this, with the help of your parents, whether if they paid for the car or not.

anywayz, just makin a point, and my apologies if you are 16, and on your own and buying your first bimmer.
Until Im on my own, i won't be bragging, I'll still be thankin mommy and daddy.

epj3

royalflush313 said:
it's good that some of you guys have worked hard to earn their cars. But I'm assuming you still live at home, they feed you food, and give you a bed to sleep in, you can't really brag that you have really achieved anything.
I'm almost 19 and about to buy an E30 or E36 bimmer (probably E30), but there is not a way I could afford to do this if I am on my own...... so I still thank my parents.

If your parents bought the car for you, that's very nice of them. If you bought your own car, consider the fact that anyone our age could also afford a car like this, with the help of your parents, whether if they paid for the car or not.

anywayz, just makin a point, and my apologies if you are 16, and on your own and buying your first bimmer.
Until Im on my own, i won't be bragging, I'll still be thankin mommy and daddy.
Understandable but you dont think it's an accomplishment for a 17 year old to have good enough money management and responsibility to buy their own car, fill it with gas, insure it, and maintain it when they make 6.50 an hour...

epj3 said:
Understandable but you dont think it's an accomplishment for a 17 year old to have good enough money management and responsibility to buy their own car, fill it with gas, insure it, and maintain it when they make 6.50 an hour...
sure, its an accomplishment, but nothing all that special, and people need to realize that the accomplishment was due to the help of the parents. Don't think you did it all on your own, you didn't

You may be paying for the car 100% all on your own, but could you do it if you were on your own?
It's like saying, o well i could have my own place, if my parents bought me a car. Are you gonna brag about your own place? Car cost is nothing when compared to living expenses.

Oh and guess what, i plan on living at home for at least another couple years :D

I always thought when i was younger if i could buy a nice car at that age, it would be awesome, and something to really brag about. But then I realize how expensive it is to live on your own is.

All i wanted to point out is that, Im only buying a car because I have my parents who pay for so much. If I didn't have the grandparents who are willing to pay for my education, I wouldn't be buyign a nice car right now either.

Lately im thinking that some guy who's parents bought him a car, and me buying my own car is really not all that different.

epj3

royalflush313 said:
sure, its an accomplishment, but nothing all that special, and people need to realize that the accomplishment was due to the help of the parents. Don't think you did it all on your own, you didn't

You may be paying for the car 100% all on your own, but could you do it if you were on your own?
It's like saying, o well i could have my own place, if my parents bought me a car. Are you gonna brag about your own place? Car cost is nothing when compared to living expenses.

Oh and guess what, i plan on living at home for at least another couple years :D

I always thought when i was younger if i could buy a nice car at that age, it would be awesome, and something to really brag about. But then I realize how expensive it is to live on your own is.

All i wanted to point out is that, Im only buying a car because I have my parents who pay for so much. If I didn't have the grandparents who are willing to pay for my education, I wouldn't be buyign a nice car right now either.

Lately im thinking that some guy who's parents bought him a car, and me buying my own car is really not all that different.
i'm not fu*king arguing. it IS an accomplishment becuase most teenagers have shitty jobs. And those kids who's parents buy them a car, also pay for THEIR food. So they have it EASIER than the rest of us. I'll be paying for all my schooling when I'm out of highschool, which includes food, housing, etc. and i will NEED a car, or i wont be able to work.

Remember teenagers make like 6.50 an hour, with like 20 hours a week.

and, it's not an accomplishment due to the parnets, becuase if it werent for me working my ass off in a job, i wouldnt have a car but my parents would still feed me. If i work my ass off, I get a car, if i do NOT work my ass off, i do NOT get a car. I was talking about teenagers, I am not worried about paying for myself to live on my own yet.

Last edited:
^ relax, im not arguing either. I said yah it IS an accomplishment, I just said that the accompolishment includes indirect help from others even if the car is paid for by yourself.

Paying for all living expenses, plus car will be tough for teenagers for sure, good luck with everything, and good luck with finding a nice car.

peace

Dnz

oh so because i live at home and worked 40 hours last week with uni, its less of an accomplishment.. i seeeeee

I must be some sort of freak to live in my family's house at 19 OMG

Dnz

and its not like spending not a single cent on anything unecessary requires a degree of self control or anything..

ITS SUCH A CAKE WALK!

Dnz said:
oh so because i live at home and worked 40 hours last week with uni, its less of an accomplishment.. i seeeeee

I must be some sort of freak to live in my family's house at 19 OMG
what the hell are you talking about?

Im turnin 19 and i live at home, I work hard, and I can buy a car soon, because I live at home.

I don't see why yall dont realize that workin 40, even 50 hours a week and buying your own car is an accomplishment, but not an accomplishment solely achieved by yourself.

I often work a lot more than 40hours, that won't make me brag about the car im gonna buy.

I dont know what you guys do for work, but i defenetely cant live on my own, pay and go to skool, buy a ~$10,000 car, pay for insurance, etc etc with the job i have.

To lighten this whole thing up, I know this guy who is close to 40 and still lives with his parents. Now what do you think about that?

40.. haha i think thats pushing it....

Anywayz, ya i didnt come here to argue.

Im gonna be buying a car soon, and my point is that im buying the car because i have other support. And im pretty sure majority of kids my age are in my shoes.

Here is my dilema- I also am looking for a first car. My choices ar between something like a 1990 25ic or a 1994 25i. The 1990 is the older body style, but it is a convertable [:)] vs the 1994 wich is the newer body style but not a convertable. I always dream of a convertable but Im not sure if its worth the sacrifice of the older car to get it. I am a perfectionist so I am picky about the car looking mint inside, it better look like it just came off the show room floor (this has caused most of the problem in my search because not many meet my requirements, and the ones that do charge a premium). I plan on putting on new wheels, suspension, all new audio, and upgrade other little things as i see fit.

I am a lucky one, my grandfather is buying it (about a $4500 limit), my dad might kick in a few cents if I find the perfect car for say$5000 but I would have to pay him back. My grandfather also seems to have connections everywhere so he can get a $6000 car for >$5000. I have to pay for all the extras though, so far I have calculated $1800 for new wheels, tires, suspension, street glow, and a few minor things. When I get the money I will put in the new audio.

Also for those of you who detail your cars, I have found that Zano is the best wax avalable. It gives you a very deep color (on black it looks like it is infinitly deep) and it is an additive, so you just keep adding more and more coats to get better and better gloss.

Last edited: