16 yr old, Whats the best year for me to Buy?

Hey guy.... ITS ME AGAIN!! ive gotten obbessed with these cars. I want to know everythinggggggg!!! But, back to the topic. Im about to get my FIRST CAR!! WHOA WHOA!! I have picked everything from a stang, to a impala, anything you name it(except that HONDA word) lol i hate them, CIVICS eww i said it. But my dad finally told me to look into a used BMW. I feel in love with the M3. DROWLL lol then i looked into old 740's. Then i found the 92-96 i think 3 Series. They look really nice even with four door. Its a 6 cylinder. I know i want a 5 speed. I already can drive one. So thats not a problem. But i dont know what year. Someone told me that the 92's dont have Vanos or something.[confused] So what year guys? Is there anything you like more then the 3 series for a 16 year old? Old 5 series? HELP! lol you guys are the experts. Also what year would have more selection of mods? And what mods would you recommend?

Thanks!!!

Sean[burnout]
PS I love that picture i attached

Attachments

epj3

If money is no issue (ie difference between 3,000 to 10,000) then buy a 93 or newer 3 series. It's very easy to drive, fairly safe, and cheaper than any other cars (in repairs, maintainence, and insurance)

If you dont want to spend a LOT of money, consider something like an e30 (you might not like the body style, but you WILL come to love it) 325is. Personally, I (17 with a very limited budget) am looking for anything between an 88 325is, to a 1993+ 325i. I'd also take an e36 318, just becuase i like the body style more.

Ya ive looked at the E30's but i feel inlove with the the E36's at first sight. I love they way they look. (that grill mmm) Ya im lookin at like a 93 325is. Defiently 5 speed. After i get used to the bimmer and i get more money i want to move to a 97 M3. MMM. lol [hihi] keep dreaming...

thanks

Sean

epj3

sstrawsb said:
Ya ive looked at the E30's but i feel inlove with the the E36's at first sight. I love they way they look. (that grill mmm) Ya im lookin at like a 93 325is. Defiently 5 speed. After i get used to the bimmer and i get more money i want to move to a 97 M3. MMM. lol [hihi] keep dreaming...

thanks

Sean
Hehe, with my financial situation, the car I buy now will hopefully last me atleast 6 years (my senior year in highschool, college, then atleast 1 year after college). So thats why i'm looking at BMW. I know if i got some japanese car it would easily last, but I enjoy driving, and japanese cars are just not put together like a bmw. My drive to school and back will be 3 or 4 hours each way on some pretty bad highways (to state college, if you have been through the mountains).

I will be looking for e36's though, i love that body style too, and I think an e36 will have a better chance at lasting 6+ years than an older e30. After college, if i have a decent job, Helllo M4!! (the new "m3")

epj3 some "japanese cars" actually ride better than a bmw in some cases. just thought id throw that out...

but anyhow, if i was on a tight budget, id get a e36 318, its economical,stylish, and you still get the bmw quality. g'luck on your purchase whenever that might be [thumb]

epj3

manuel said:
epj3 some "japanese cars" actually ride better than a bmw in some cases. just thought id throw that out...

but anyhow, if i was on a tight budget, id get a e36 318, its economical,stylish, and you still get the bmw quality. g'luck on your purchase whenever that might be [thumb]
I know they do, but even the more expensive jap. cars just do not feel like a bimmer. I also dont want a really big car like a maxima. They are excellent cars, but i just dont want something that big. e36 3 series is like the perfect size [thumb]

I am 16yrs old and bought my 96 bmw 328is about 7 months ago. I love it, Its quick, handles great, and gets the ladies!![thumb] i was looking a couple other cars such as a 3000gt Vra, and a nissan 300zx, but i soon came to find out that bmw are so much better than those Jap cars, not saying they are bad. Go with a 1993 325is or whatever, you can juice them up alot!

I'm 17, and got my '96 328is when i was 16. and E36 is a great car for the fortunate few of our age. btw, stangs, and impala's are slow.

I almost got an E28 M5, that would've owned, but in terms of maintainence E36's and E30's are your best bet. E30's are super strong cars with the least amount of probs.

just get somethign sweet, don't rice it, and be humble.

my $0.02

epj3

frolf said:
I'm 17, and got my '96 328is when i was 16. and E36 is a great car for the fortunate few of our age. btw, stangs, and impala's are slow.

I almost got an E28 M5, that would've owned, but in terms of maintainence E36's and E30's are your best bet. E30's are super strong cars with the least amount of probs.

just get somethign sweet, don't rice it, and be humble.

my $0.02
Can i have your car? It's pretty [8)]

rjp325i

Advice from an old man!
Just remember the demarcation line between OBD 1 and OBD 2 is 1995 and 1996. Engine modifications are easier and cheaper with OBD 1. Vanos units also do not last forever. This is not to discourage you from buying a newer model, just want to make you aware of a high mileage pitfall. Good luck in whatever you buy.

epj3

frolf said:
if you are at my house in 3 minutes yes.

and thank you, i like it very much.[;)]
Give me 18 hours, 24 minutes to get there. Of course that's going the speedlimit. I can trim 6 hours off that. So give me 12 hours, And i'll be there!

it's only 1121.29 miles from my town to yours! of course I knew that...didnt have to use mapquest....

rjp325i said:
Advice from an old man!
Just remember the demarcation line between OBD 1 and OBD 2 is 1995 and 1996. Engine modifications are easier and cheaper with OBD 1. Vanos units also do not last forever. This is not to discourage you from buying a newer model, just want to make you aware of a high mileage pitfall. Good luck in whatever you buy.
Sorry but what is an OBD 1 and OBD 2?

OBD1 and OBD2 refer to the computer that controls your car. OBD1 is before 96 and using an eprom chip to control your car. This allows you to easy do a chip replacement (i.e. dinan or jim conforti). OBD2 is the newer system and you have to send in the computer to get it reprogrammed or buy a reprogramming unit which you can get from someone like jim conforti called a shark injector. Therefore OBD1 is a much easier system to upgrade. Vanos is variable valve timing system that started on the 93 bmw's and actually did not give any extra horsepower as both the 92 and 93 have 189 hp.

As for the mileage issue with vanos and such, I have a 93 bmw 325i with 180,000 miles on it and never have I had one problem with it (knock on wood). Car runs smooth and nothing beats a bmw. I worked at a bmw dealership and talked to the mechanics before I made the purchase and they told me they have never seen one of these engines come back bad. My only advice is don't enjoy it's power too much, I roasted a set of tires the first summer I had the car, kickin it around corners is fun, but not such a good idea.

Good luck with the car shopping.

Attachments

Last edited:

rjp325i

OBD 1 - up to 1995
OBD 2 - 1196 and later
It involves the program in the ECU that was mandated with new emissions regulations. If you notice 1995 M3s have a larger intake than the later E36 models and is the more desireable M3 for racing even tho its a 3.0 L. As a result the 1996 and later models went to a 3.2 L size to get the same power output. Emissions laws dictate what you can and cannot do and all modifications are recorded in an OBD 2 setup (Big Brother is watching). All models were affected as all cars now use the specs of OBD 2 (On Board Diagnostics). It is one reason why BMWs of 1995 and earlier you can just plug in a new chip but cannot on 1996 and later. For these you have to insert a revised program through the diagnostic socket such as the "Shark Injector by Jim Conforti." This tool installs a new program but stores the old one for reinstallation when needed. When putting a 1996 or later engine in a 1995 or earlier vehicle you must convert everything to use the OBD 1 ECU unit. That also includes many hard parts not just software. The older cars cars wiring won't allow you to do otherwise and vice-versa. It gets more involved the more you learn about it. Sorry to confuse anyone but it is not an easy topic and it only gets worse.

Infinite

Hey, new here.... I just purchased a 92 325i... even with no VANOS, it still has a lot ofh juice. I think VANOS is over rated, not saying its bad.... but, GOD I LOVE THIS CAR! Feels good to work you ass of for too.

When i was your age, (22 now) i rolled with my LEGS. when am lucky, i get to ride in the damn school bus. E36 92 to 97 in my opinion are the same. If you get the ealier verson, 92-94, you can also paint the bumpers. The car's looks depends on what you do to it. Beside, your 16 now. By 22 your not going to have the same car. Just get your self a bimmer now and get the damn chicks now that your still in high school. If i had my bimmer in high school, Men i'll be more famous than 50Cent. (At least in my high school).

epj3

Kenny2g said:
When i was your age, (22 now) i rolled with my LEGS. when am lucky, i get to ride in the damn school bus. E36 92 to 97 in my opinion are the same. If you get the ealier verson, 92-94, you can also paint the bumpers. The car's looks depends on what you do to it. Beside, your 16 now. By 22 your not going to have the same car. Just get your self a bimmer now and get the damn chicks now that your still in high school. If i had my bimmer in high school, Men i'll be more famous than 50Cent. (At least in my high school).
Haha, it would be the same for my school (bunch of hicks...) except we also have a lot of ricers [:(!] who think their cars are the shit. I think they are pieces OF shit. But oh well, if i buy an early e36 (probably around 6-7000 dollars) they'll be the ones saying "Why'd you buy such an expensive car, yo" even though they paid 12,000 for their civic [rolleyes]