would this be ok?

They should sound fine, but the 5.25s will lack mid-bass compared to the 6x9s or 6.5s.

Since you are installing component sets, I am assuming you have a sub (or two) in the trunk. That will be a must for the low end, but you may still find yourself missing mid-bass.

I would expect it to sound better, but don't really know. If the specs on the 5.25s in the rear allow for more bass than the component 5.25, you should be fine.

BTW, I don't know why you have given up on cutting up the rear deck. There may be a reason why that is a bad idea on an E30, but I am not aware of it.

i was going to get Sony but i was steered away by friends so i was going to get Cerwin-Vega components, Lightning Audio amp, and Rockford Fosgate subs. undecided on the HU looking at Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, Kenwood, Blaupunkt, Pioneer, and Clarion so im very undecided on that..heh

I'm a big fan of Alpine gear, I've got both a HU and amp from them, you can't go wrong. And really your decision on wheter or not to get a sub depends on how loud you like your music. If you want to have it blastin (doesn't matter the type of music you listen to) you're going to want the extra low end kick that only a sub can give, as the 6x9's can distort (or cause the amp to clip) at high volume when trying to produce good bass.

I think polk makes great speakers for the money. I have had polks in my last two cars, including the 325. I like Infinity subs (I have a 12" in the 325i) and MTX amps. Alpine makes good amps. I have a Sony head unit/changer now, it is OK. I had a Clarion head/changer in my previous car (Acura Legend) and it was nice in features but had problems. Lots of other quality stuff out there, I just don't have any personal experience with it.