which oil filter & motor oil is best?

i wanted to get an idea on what everyone uses for oil filters and motor oil for their bimmers. should i go with what bmw sells or maybe the Mann filter by bavarian autosport. i've been using the motor oil that my mechanic uses but i'm not sure what type it is. definitely not syntheteic though.

I don't care what oil you use after an oil change. I want to point out to every one to use this oil. It's called LUCAS and it's a very thick oil that's great for your engine. Ask your local autostore and they'll show it to you. Comes in a white bottle and believe me. It's great for your engine. PUT ONLY ONE BOTTLE after you've put in your 5 pint then put one Lucas to make it 6pints.

GATTO5.9

I am a jeep owner, and I have to agree that Lucas is incredible stuff. Any one I have talked to has reccommended it. I used it for a few years on my last jeep and it had 210,000 miles before i crashed it. Still was running great. Frequent oil changes is essential in keeping a perfect running vehicle! [thumb]

GATTO5.9

Lucas is an oil stabilizer. It keeps the molecular structure of the oil in-tact. It is extremely thick and stringy. Not as viscous as regular motor oil. It was originally used in big-rigs and then it grew more popular in the industry. I have even put a few drops in my tranny. I will always use Lucas. It's about $7 a bottle

See the oil is very thick. and when the engine gets really hot, it doesn't desolve too easily as the other oil does. Also, when the car is parked over night, other oil goes to the bottom of the engine because they are not as thick as this Lucas oil. Remember though put only one bottle.
Hope this helps