tire life not rotating

cpadpl

I understand it's BMW's position not to rotate the tires, which is actually fine with me. Coming from a big 4x4 that hit gravel quite a bit, it's a joy not only to not have to rotate the tires but to change oil every 15 or 16 thousand miles (I've got a 2003 325 Ci now).

My question is for those of you who have not had your stock tires rotated in accordance with BMW's policy, how long of a life did you get out of your tires?

When I actually stop and think about it, the time and money that one spends on tire rotations probably doesn't create a benefit. I mean, let's assume that all 4 tires had to be replaced maybe 20,000 miles earlier (which is a year and a half for me) because one did not rotate. That's maybe $800 to $1,000 that I'll have to fork over a year and a half before I would have had to had I rotated. Assuming even a 10% rate of interest, the present value cost of making the premature $1,000 payment is $100. So not rotating theoretically cost me $100. Meanwhile, rotating tires costs me time and money each time I get it done. Is my logic off?

That's why I'm interested in how many miles everyone had received on stock tires they did not rotate. I think my 2003 came with Continentals.

Big Daddy

That all depends on the tread wear rating of the tire and your driving style. For instances the original Michelin Pilot's that came on my 97 roadster 10k on the rears and they were gone. The Toyo Proxies on my 98 M roadster have over 10k on them now and they have about 3/4 of their tread wear left. All rotating really does is allows all your tires to wear out at the same time.