Decent speakers for my car?

alex_c

I'm planning on replacing the front speakers in my 2000 540.
What speakers are good for my car where is a good place to buy 'em?

Should I install them myself (never done it before) or have someone else do it?

Thanks

Last edited:
You might want to call Crutchfield or check somewhere online. I just checked Crutchfield's webpage for your car. It says they have not taken measurements for that car. [?|]

MB Quarts are about the only option if you want the look to remain factory. I think your fronts should be 5 1/4 as they are on my 2000 528. MBQ has component systems for the front that will greatly improve sound quality, again without changing factory-look appearance. There have been threads here on the old board with some good links on upgrades. You may want to do a search. Some good links for this speaker upgrade I also saw on "The Unofficial E39" page. Let me know if you do it because I'm planning the same upgrade eventually.
Good luck!

alex_c

I've heard a lot of people recommend the MBQ's so I think I'll get them. I want the look to remain stock definitely.

Which MBQ's should I get? I see there are a couple different lines.

Where is the old forum? I've been looking for archives and can't find anything.

Thanks!!!!!!!

Not sure how to access the old threads.
Yes, there are 4 different lines. You can compare them all at www.mbquart.com . They also have a dealer locator on the website.
As far as which ones to get, it all depends on how much you want to spend! Your local MBQ dealer should be able to help you out. You may want to decide which ones you want then search online. Probably find a better deal, but may have to install yourself.
Check this link www.nextmill.net/bmw540/ This guy did a speaker upgrade and has pics and all showing the work. I found that link on www.bmwtips.com. Another link that has speaker upgrade articles is www.unofficialbmw.com/e39.html . This page seems a bit out of date, but you may find some good stuff there too.
Good Luck. [thumb]

Get the MB Quart PCE-213s. They are the new speakers. I just put last year's models (PSC-213) in my 540 and they sound great. They are 5 1/4" mid-bass and 1" tweeter with crossover.

You don't use the crossover so store it away or sell it on eBay.

The door panels are not that difficult to remove but if you are not comfortable get someone else to do it. You don't want to hack up your nice car.

If you want to try it yourself follow the links mentioned in the last post:

http://www.nextmill.net/bmw540/speakerupgrade.html

This helped me a lot. There is a little improvising needed to mount the tweeter.

Good luck.

I got a set of PSC-213s for $250 at a local stereo shop. I brought in 4 printouts of Internet prices and they matched the second lowest one. I wouldn't have bought from the lowest one anyway.

I'm not sure what you mean but the front set of speakers are 3-way speakers - tweeter, midrange and woofer.

I only replaced the tweeter and woofer. The midrange is an odd size (13mm I think) and I have not found a suitable replacement yet.

All front speakers are in the doors.

The rears are 2-way and the tweeters are in the doors and the woofers are in the decklid.

The rears are the same size as the fronts so just buy 2 sets of speakers.

I hope this answers you question!