Winter Tires.

Miz

Hello and thanks for reading this,
I was just wondering if you have an opinion on which winter tires are best for an 03 325i.
I appreciate your thoughts on this.

M.

I've had Blizzaks for 8 years now. They're awesome in everything from deep snow to ice. The downside is that you lose a lot of steering feel and they're a bit louder and get less MPGs. If you need the best winter traction you can get w/o studs go for the Blizzaks. But if you want some handling too, get a "performance winter" tire.

rickshaw

Avoid cheap ones or used ones

I would suggest avoiding used winter tires, even when they have lots of tread left, since they tend to get hard with age and winter tires provide grip by nature of their soft compound.

Also avoid cheap ones which are mostly store brands or those exclusive to certain stores.

My preference are the Pirellis and the Michelins (just installed Michelin Ice Xi2 on my 325xi)

Hello and thanks for reading this,
I was just wondering if you have an opinion on which winter tires are best for an 03 325i.
I appreciate your thoughts on this.

M.

I've owned several sets of blizzaks and they work well. I've always felt that snow tires are for snow, and that I have never and will never care about how great a snow tire performs at high speed (beyond basic water evacuation). Given my expectations from winter tires, the fact that snow tires are made of a soft compound, and the understanding that tires are your best friend and always will be... my recommendation is for any decent snow tire with ok water evac. My blizzaks weren't bad at $100/tire, but you can definitely do better than that price. Don't buy expensive tires because no matter what you are going to wear them out quickly.

My two cents

mgsst23

I put Pacemark Snowtrakkers on my '99 323i and have had great performance with them. Awesome deep snow grip, good wet grip not that noisy (I keep radio loud!) crappy on ice but what isn't. Those tires were BEEFY when I put them on and like the Blizzaks I Had before the sipes were movable but of harder compound. FYI, my Blizzaks lasted 3yrs, really great snow tires but too expensive for me. The Pacemarks have lasted 5 years and would be fine this year but I bought studs for my '86 and plan on driving that instead. Bonus, Snowtrakkers I bought were studdable depending on your area, although Pittsburgh isn't bad I work at funny hours and roads can be questionable. My cost for 195/65/15 size was $38 not incl mount and balance ( dealer cost). I think they're like $50 each now for list.