The M2 Is BMW's Cayman GT4 Moment

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/first-drives/a30309/bmw-m2-is-so-so-so-great/
I drove the BMW M2 at a Formula 1 circuit, but I couldn't switch off the traction control, use launch control or even hit the curbs. Surprisingly enough, it was fun even with a strait jacket on, which is mostly down to it being an engineering exercise. That makes it the nearest BMW equivalent to the Porsche Cayman GT4, a car that is less about huge numbers and more about how it makes you feel.

The M2 borrows a lot of bits from the M4 underneath with the active differential and 10mm narrower tires, simply because they couldn't fit the regular ones with the already wider track under the 2 Series' body panels. Skinnier tires equal less grip, and with the shorter wheelbase, you're looking at a car that's noticeably snappier than its big brothers, yet perfectly balanced and controllable at opposite lock.

It might not have a full M engine, but BMW used an upgraded version of the N55 six-cylinder turbo with the high-compression pistons and crankshaft main bearing shells from the M4's, direct injection, variable timing on both cams, and variable valve lift. Higher boost levels make sure it has the needed power, a new sump and an extra oil pump makes it track worthy, and this little car will also do 173mph as an Autobahn warrior if you manage to surpass the limiter.

After talking to the head of the M2 project, Frank Isenberg, I was reassured that the M2 is here to stay. As a product, it costs them next to nothing in research and development since they use existing technologies, and as long as BMW continues to make M3s and M4s, it'll make M2s with rear-wheel drive and a manual gearbox as standard as long as every fifth M2 customer wants to choose that. At least every fifth will. How could they not?

I would.