My M3 is making a whining noise when I accelerate

ZachD

I recently had an Alpine Monitor,dvd changer, and subwoofers installed. And ever since when I accelerate I hear a high pitched whining noise coming from the dash or steering wheel. Does anyone have an idea what it could be?

Tom

Staff Team
The whining noise could be a grounding problem or having the RCA cables to close to a power source. I would take it back to the stereo shop and tell them this.

aiznpride

Tom hit the nail right on the head. the problem is a poor install. you need to re-do the system to get rid of the alternator whine. here are some things to keep in mind:
1. run power lines on one side of the car, and signal lines on the other. also, get quality cables. spending a little extra can save you a lot of headaches in the future.
2. if power and signal lines must cross, make sure they cross at 90 degrees. i used zip ties to keep them perpendicular.
3. make u'r ground wires for the amps as short as possible and use different ground points for each amp. if you have multiple amps sharing a ground point, make sure the amp with the most power output is the first one touching the ground.

following the above advice should help with your alternator whine.
-j