amps

not really an audio question for a BMW but my friend just got a 1970 Charger SE and wants to put two 15" subs in the trunk he is looking at Rockrofd Fosgate but we need ideas on some strong amps to power them. any help would be much appriecated

edelweiB

Zapco's C2K-9.0XD, a class D amp that can push 1x2200 watts at both 4 and 2 ohm loads mono! Also tell your friend to check out Alumapro subs, one of their subs, the M16, is a sick 16 inch aluminum sub. He also couldn't go wrong with some JL W7s. I would avoid fosgate their stuff is cheap.

www.alumapro.com
www.zapco.com

I'ma try and make this as understandable as possible. When they tell you the maximum power for an amp, it's usually into a 2 ohm load. Thing is, most car subs are built to cuase 4 ohms of resistance. 4 ohms resistance will only get you around 1/2 of what the amp could do (as most car amps are stable to 2 ohms).

To fix that problem, you pair two 4 ohm subs up (wired in parrallel) Two 4 ohm subs makes a 2 ohm load. The amp might say mono, but trust me, you'll about have to run 2 subs off of it to get maximum punch. Besides, i don't know of a single sub that can handle 2200 watts......

RF amps are cheap??? rf amps are one of the best amps out there. they have a geat reputation for being reliable and putting out more than adequate power. besides anyone that knows anything about car audio stuff will tell you that phoenix gold amps are the best but are $$$$$.

edelweiB

First off, if it is sold a circuit city IT SUCKS, you might as well just buy some Sony XPLOD crap if you want really muddy and very distorted sound reproduction.

Secondly, I agree that PG makes some decent stuff, however; BRAX, Zapco, and McIntosh Labs (which is what I am using at the moment) are on par as the industry's standard for high end, esp BRAX those amps are recockulous (~$4k for the X2400 Graphic).

Some BRAX amps!

Last edited:
i definitely agree with you edelweiB. i realize that RF amps are not the best amps... but in my opinion they are the best deal out there if you're strapped for cash.

that is very true. rockford fosgate has been known to be of very high quality. i don't think anyone would think you were crazy if you got a RF amp. they are considered competition level equipment....and that's a fact!!!!!!!!!!